As the newest member of StringCan Interactive I wanted to take a minute and introduce myself and outline my role on the team. I’m Jason McDonald, my friends and family call me Jay; I hope this doesn’t catch on in the office as two Jays would be confusing! I was brought on board as StringCan’s new Account Manager where I plan on implementing my years of customer service and account management experience to work for SCIs many clients.
I am very excited about this opportunity, as the StringCan team is second to none. Under Jay’s leadership, this office is going places, and I’m blessed to be a part of their emerging growth. I’m also looking forward to working with the team, to continue bringing world-class digital strategies and customer service to all of our clients.
I have to say, we are happy to finally have another Arizona native on the team. Tell us about growing up in Arizona.
I’m so Arizonan that I was a Cardinals fan before their Super Bowl run; I’m so Arizonan that my family eats enchiladas for Christmas lunch; I’m so Arizonan that I go to rodeos and I’m not trying to be ironic. I love this state – my family has been here for several generations, homesteading land in the Verde Valley in the late-1800s. I was born in Flagstaff and raised in Camp Verde, which is a small town in the center of the state (that place between Phoenix and Flagstaff with the fast food). I grew up fishing, camping and playing sports – Camp Verde was the ideal place for a guy to grow up – I learned to drive a stick shift at 14, rafted the Verde River without adult supervision at 15 and drove a 1968 Chevelle at 16 – pretty ideal if you ask me.
What are you passionate about?
I’ve always been passionate about traveling. In high school I was on a year-long Rotary Exchange Student program to Bavaria, Germany. After high school I spent six months in Venezuela, traveled throughout Europe until my tourist visa expired, and ended up living in Toulouse, France for more than a year. Today, my wife and I visit France at least once a year, and we try to explore as much of the U.S. as possible. In fact, I’m looking forward to my first trip to Seattle this weekend! My passion for travel is coupled with a passion for food and the adult beverages that accompany good food!
Fun fact: In college I discussed with my wife transferring to UC Davis to study viticulture. The thought of working every day with wine still brings a smile to my face. The back breaking work…not so much.
What three adjectives best describe you?
Share With Us Your Vision Board
A brief guide to MyVision to help you get a better sense of who I am and what makes me, me - from top left to right.
- Wine – I’m a big fan having been president of the NAU Wine Club in College
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization – one of the key products StringCan offers its clients, I’m working to become very knowledgeable in this space
- SC – StringCan Interactive’s logo
- On-Time – I work hard to ensure clients’ projects are completed on time and on budget
- Local Food – My wife and I love to support local restaurants in our neighborhood (I can’t draw a spoon)
- Focused – I’m a very focused person, always looking for ways to better support my team and service our clients
- McDonalds – I’m not in love with the food it’s just my last name
- PPC – Pay Per Click, like SEO, PPC is another service StringCan provides its clients and I’m very motived to learn more about this effective marketing tool
- Client (Smiley Face) – Keeping clients happy; it’s what I try and do every day
- Google – So many opportunities
- Fishing – What I do when I’m not an account manager
- FUN – I try and have fun in everything I do – especially work
- Podcast – I am an avid podcast listener; here are a few of my favorites (RadioLab, TED Radio Hour, Social Media Marketing and Wire-Tap)
- Micro-Brews – Like local restaurants I enjoy local beer – Arizona has so many great breweries
- Downtown – My wife and I enjoy our lives in Central Phoenix – with dozens of bars, restaurants and sporting venues within walking distance
- France – I visit every year – my wife’s whole family still lives there
- Mail – I wanted to make the drawing look like an iPhone so I added mail :)
- Facebook – I love all social media
- Vote – I’m very passionate about politics having been a political consultant in a previous life
- Results – I’m excited about working with the StringCan team because they know how to get results
What are 6 things you could never live without?
My wife, family and friends, podcasts, new restaurants, HBO Original Series and microbreweries
If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the most irresponsible thing you would spend the money on?
It’s hard to narrow it down to one irresponsible things but I’d have to say a helicopter. It would be so nice to be able to get from Phoenix to Lake Powell in around an hour. More lake time…yes please!
If you could be one of the following, what would you be and why? An oak tree, a pair of designer sunglasses, or a 5-course dinner.
I’d be a 5-course dinner with one requirement – I’d be served at a Michelin three star restaurant, maybe Guy Savoy in Paris. It would be an honor to be one of the greatest dinners ever served – I’d look good, smell good, taste good and I’d be memorable – you can’t find that in a pair of sunglasses.
How would you market ping pong balls if ping pong itself no longer existed?
Next time you’re around a ping pong ball do me a favor – LIGHT IT ON FIRE – you don’t have to dip it in lighter fluid, just light it as is. Then after being amazed by its flammability imagine the FireChucker 3001 – a twenty-one round ping pong ball launcher that lights the ball on fire as it leaves the air pressurized barrel.
The FireChucker 3001 would revolutionize the 4th of July; bring new excitement to college frat parties, and make falling asleep first during a camping trip terrifying – order now and we’ll include two flame retardant t-shirts at no extra cost.
What’s your favorite YouTube video?
One of the original YouTube sensations “Star Wars Kid” – I love it because we’ve all done that, acted like we were a Ninja Turtle (in my case), Karate Kid or Mohammad Ali. This poor kid just happened to video tape it – I cringe in embarrassment for him every time I watch it!
On a serious note, what are you most looking forward to learning from StringCan
Three letters – SEO! Jay Feitlinger is known in the industry as one of the top search engine optimization strategists in the state, if not the nation and I am looking forward to learning all I can from him. I’ve already started my training - I’m currently studying to become a Google Analytics Certified Individual. As one of the original SEO pioneers, Cookie Monster once said, “Me like cookies!!!”
What will clients enjoy most about working with you?
Other than my sweet dance moves, I’d have to say my client-focused approach to account management. I take a lot of pride in understanding the goals and needs of my clients and doing everything in my power to make them as successful as possible.
What do results mean to you?
Most everyone would agree an account manager’s primary responsibility is to make sure results are achieved on time and on budget. I agree, but I would have to add one very important aspect – communication. It is very important to me that our client-partners are updated and understand the processes StringCan is undertaking on their behalf. This open communication leads to a better product and client-partners who can sleep better at night knowing their digital strategies are in good hands.
What is your proudest accomplishment and why?
As a small town boy from Arizona I was able to convince a beautiful, smart, fun-loving French girl to marry me. My wife and I will be celebrating our ninth year together at the end of this month! I’m the luckiest man alive – anyone who’s met my wife will tell you why.